Re: [opensuse-packaging] Renaming a package
On 02/17/2011 12:28 PM, Cristian Morales Vega wrote:
Provides: pac = %{version}
Obsoletes: pac < FIRST_VERSION_WITH_NAME_NEWPAC

, without using the %{version} macro in Obsoletes, to avoid
"gratuitously polluting the version space upwards".

The "version isn't increased with the name change" problem Wolfgang
points out would be solved with the release number. But we usually
aren't in control of it in the OBS.

The Osoletes: version has to be lower than the Provides: version
otherwise it causes noise in the package manager, I've actually
considered trying out epoch: which fedora uses but we don't but a
fictitious version number with a .999 added can also do the job if
neccessary.

Dave P