Re: [opensuse-packaging] MMX/SSE in i586 packages
Am Samstag, 12. Februar 2011, 22:38:05 schrieb Cristian Morales Vega:
I have a program with a build system that adds "-mfpmath=sse -msse" to
the CFLAGS. What do you think, should I patch it? And if it used -mmmx
(gcc calls "i586" to a Pentium without MMX)?

If it is for a i586.rpm, you need to patch it in any case to not use these
flags. Because the binaries would not be runable on a i586 system.

If these optimizations would speed up the code (this is not the case for most
packages), you may build the libs a second time and put them below

/usr/lib/sse2

directory (sse3 path is afaik not yet supported). The dynamic linker will look
there first, if the hardware supports it.

So the package is still runable on plain i586, but uses performance boost on
newer
32bit hardware. (However, one could argue that fast systems are anyway 64bit
these days and it is not worth the hazzle ...)

bye
adrian

--
Adrian Schroeter