Re: [opensuse-packaging] Devel packages: Handling factory and older releases
  • From: Richard Guenther <rguenther@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2010 10:59:45 +0200 (CEST)
On Thu, 16 Sep 2010, Andreas Jaeger wrote:

I've split up a devel package from sane-backends for openSUSE:Factory. I have
added to packages needing the devel library the following:

%if 0%{?suse_version} > 1130
BuildRequires: sane-backends-devel
%else
BuildRequires: sane-backends
%endif

This allows the package, e.g. xsane, to build in an original 11.3 environment.

So, now the package works fine - unless sane-backends and the package are in
the same devel project since the split was done unconditionally in sane-
backends. Now the package xsane will not build for older releases since it
has
buildrequires on sane-backends but sane-backends in the same devel project
has
a separate devel package that would need to be required.

So, how to solve this the best way?

Avoid package splits to be effective for old releases by proper
%ifdefing those changes (in this case in sane). Like we require
for updates to old products which shouldn't introduce this kind
of changes either.

Or put in explicit versioned requires instead (thus, require
the new version from the devel project).

Richard.