Re: [opensuse-packaging] Package Markup / Package Tagging
  • From: Lubos Lunak <l.lunak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2010 16:00:46 +0200
On Friday 03 of September 2010, Marcus Rueckert wrote:
yes. one of the users are reviewer of submissions. they really like to
know why you removed the patch. maybe also other packager on the same
package.

There's no good reason why they would have to look in the package changelog
though.

and the whole thing should also work without getting an obs account (if
that is even enough, see below) to look up why the patch got
added/removed.

Sure, why not optimize for a corner case.

trust me ... walking down the history to find out when a patch got
removed and then guessing why is no fun. I had to do that more than
once already.

I've done that countless times with code in some repository. Noticeably
less painful than figuring it out from changelogs.

"less *.changes" -> /foo.patch

is much faster than hunting through osc log

Hunting? You've never used a proper VCS, have you? How can manually fiddling
with a manually written file be better than 'vcs log <the-thing-you-want>' ?

Which gets me back to the original question that nobody has answered yet.
Has the option that the build service would be actually usable as a revision
control system been considered?

if you see some need to automated the work for yourself, then feel free.
but for communication with users and other packagers those extra
informations are very helpful. and trust me i see hundreds of packages
every week.

I'm not disputing the need of the information. I just disagree with your
opinion that things have to be done the tedious way because they always have.

--
Lubos Lunak
openSUSE Boosters team, KDE developer