Re: [opensuse-packaging] Package Markup / Package Tagging
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2010 14:13:14 +0200
Le dimanche 05 septembre 2010, à 13:39 +0200, Bernhard Walle a écrit :
Am 05.09.2010 12:35, schrieb Vincent Untz:

Because a script to get stats about patches has to download just the
spec files, instead of downloading all patches in addition to that.

FWIW, I'm kind of mixed here: using in-patch information is indeed good
because other distros are using this. But on the other hand, I really
like the fact that all the information is in the spec file, so I don't
have to look elsewhere -- and I used this daily when updating packages.

So you want to *duplicate* information just that the script can be kept
a bit simpler?

I'm not saying we should duplicate it -- that's the worst solution. I'm
just saying that, in my use case, both solution have ups and downs.

And you misread what I wrote since it's not "just" for a script. Having
the tags in the spec files does help me too. Daily.

Normally opening a patch in my the editor (vim) is a matter of moving
the cursor to the name of the patch and typing "gf", going back is '%'.

And when you have 5 patches and you want to have a quick overview of all
of them, you open all files? :-) Having everything in the .spec file is
faster in this case.

(and yes, I'm talking about *my* use case; I'm not saying everybody
works this way)

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.