Re: [opensuse-packaging] Package Markup / Package Tagging
  • From: Will Stephenson <wstephenson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2010 23:13:07 +0200
On Friday 03 September 2010 15:50:38 Dominique Leuenberger wrote:
I would like to start a discussion, hopefully resulting in a packaging
policy regarding patches in our packages. Very often it is difficult to
see in a package, when a patch was added, when it was modified, when
disabled, and when deleted.

In order to address all those questions, and some more, we would like to
globally introduce (for Factory it might become mandatory; autobuild team
is considering to enforce the rule), a new policy about this.

I'm all for a standard packaging policy, but before we go rushing into any one
implementation's details, can I draw the thread's attention to the existing
cross-distribution proposal for a standard patch metadata policy?

A common patch tagging system would be useful for sharing work with upstreams
and other distros.

Proposal: http://dep.debian.net/deps/dep3/

Discussion: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/distributions/2009-
June/000316.html