Re: [opensuse-packaging] Convert existing changelog from .spec file to .changes file
  • From: Ruediger Oertel <ro@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 02:19:22 +0100
On Monday 02 November 2009 10:30:57 Ludwig Nussel wrote:
[....]

Sorry, my bad -- as Dominique and Cristian already pointed out, the
correct URL is the following:

http://linux01.gwdg.de/~pbleser/files/rpm/spec2changes.pl

I guess I could actually make a proper package around it, e.g. in
openSUSE:Tools - -- will do that later today.

It does require the installation of the perl-TimeDate package though
(heck, it's Perl, no point reinventing the wheel ;D)

What about calling it spec2changelog and including it in the build
package? changelog2spec is already there and also requires
perl-TimeDate already.

the one I'm using is based on the same code that changelog2spec
came from and does both directions.
It's called convert_changes_to_rpm_changelog and I've uploaded
a copy to home:oertel/changelog-convert in OBS.
By default it converts from .changes to rpm changelog, if called
with "--changes" it converts changelog or changes entries to a
changes file syntax.

For the discussion, just two issues, I'll try to keep out of the rest:

- yes, I like the changes format mostly for one reason: though rpm
stores the date in the binary rpm in a complete time tag, the specfile
parser from rpm is not able to parse a time but only a date and I really
do not want to loose that information, some packages are changed more
than once a day and sometimes you want to know about the sequence.

- the format for .changes is: default output of `date` in POSIX/C locale,
which means the day is in english locale and has three letters, eg.
"Thu_Nov__5_02:16:10_CET_2009" (spaces just here replaced by
underscores for better visibility).

--
with kind regards (mit freundlichem Grinsen),
Ruediger Oertel (ro@xxxxxxxxxx,ro@xxxxxxx,bugfinder@xxxxxxxxxxx)