Re: [opensuse-packaging] Rebuilding in OBS
  • From: Adrian Schröter <adrian@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 15:00:56 +0200
Am Samstag, 22. August 2009 01:59:55 schrieb Magnus Boman:
Hello,

For the past months it's been really difficult to contribute to package
updates since I only have time to help out on weekends. This boils down
to commits going in to oS:F, and my pet project (GNOME:Factory) is
basically always blocked waiting for oS:F to build.
Trying to build a package locally, is not all that easy, as recently,
osc tells me, more often than not, that it can't find a package on a
mirror nor in OBS so the local build is aborted.

Now, I understand that we want to rebuild packages etc, and I also
understand that weekends are the most appropriate time to this.

The way OBS rebuilds packages seems a little bit paranoid to me though
and I would like to ask the question if we can do it better.

So, this is the workflow (AFAIK):

1. I branch a package from G:F, it ends up in my home and basically the
content of it is a _link (since I have not changed anything yet)
2. I update the package and commit (now, I have a project.diff)
3. I submit the package to G:F
4. The package is accepted into G:F (G:F will now contain _link and
project.diff, while the package in my home is back to being a _link)
5. The package is submitted from G:F to oS:F (and lets say accepted into
oS:F). G:F will now be _link, and the package in my home is _link. In
oS:F, it's all the files this package contains of

Now, what will happen is:

* When I do 1, OBS wants to build the package in my home

* In step 4 (when package have been accepted), OBS will want to build
the package in both my home and in G:F

* In step 5, OBS will want to build the package in oS:F, G:F and my home

My thinking:

In this scenario, my home, G:F and oS:F all use the same build
dependencies, so when a package is a _link, can't OBS just copy the
content from the linked package instead of having to rebuild it
completely in all these different places?

No, because the project repos may have a different setup, regarding their
project config (build against other repos or have flags in prjconf). Also the
rpm headers and signature will be different for sure.

What could get avoided is the rebuild when the sources get merged in linked
packages.

bye
adrian

--