Re: [opensuse-packaging] Rebuilding in OBS
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Aug 2009 17:32:59 +0200
Am Montag 24 August 2009 schrieb Michael Matz:
Hi,

On Mon, 24 Aug 2009, Magnus Boman wrote:
One way out of this dilemma is to have a repository not build against
oS:F/standard/ (that is constantly changing), but only against
oS:F/snapshot/ . The latter changes only at certain sync points (when
the standard/ part has completely rebuilt once). If you do that you
risk a breaking build when submitting to oS:F proper (because up until
then you built against a slightly older version), but you at least can
get work done.

It doesn't really help here since I have to build against GNOME:Factory
and not oS:F as such. Basically all packages in G:F are blocked once G:F
have been submitted to oS:F.

That's why I have said that G:F (or a variant thereof) needs to be based
on oS:F/snapshot/ and you would work against that variant.

Yes, this is _exactly_ what should be done. Building against snapshot should
be actually the preferred solution for all but a very limited set of projects
out there.

This also spreads the load a bit because on weekends openSUSE:Factory/standard
would rebuild without blocking anything else and over the week GNOME:Factory
would build _once_ (but it does that anyway :).

Forbidding or mass replacing standard with snapshot is a bit too much IMO,
because some repos _need_ to be in sync e.g. with the kernel ABI of
openSUSE:Factory, but maybe it's the right approach to mass replace and then
change that couple back.

And then there is question when to sync snapshot. Right now it's done (if I
remember) before full rebuilds, but it's possible to couple it with the
publishing of /factory/repo/oss (in theory, I have no clue about the code
in question :)

Greetings, Stephan