Re: [opensuse-packaging] Automatic Dependencies of libraries
  • From: Cristian Morales Vega <cmorve69@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2009 00:58:00 +0200
2009/8/19 Philipp Thomas <Philipp.Thomas2@xxxxxxx>:
On Tue, 18 Aug 2009 15:05:58 -0400, you wrote:

rpm dependency extractor, at least last time I checked, wasnt able to
handle this case.

It can't as there is no dependency recorded in the ELF header of a
binary (the place where directly needed libraries are recorded for use
by the dynamic linker). Such runtime dependencies must be taken care
of by the packager.

Could not the first argument of every dlopen call be obtained from the
ELF file? Perhaps if debuginfo is available could be done?

Since this came... I sometimes read about rpm dependency extractors
for java/python/mono/whatever, but I don't really package too much
things in non-compiled languages and I never follow it.
Righy now, exactly when RPM can extract dependencies automatically?
For compiled languages/ELF binaries and... something else?