[opensuse-packaging] Automatic Dependencies of libraries
  • From: "Dominique Leuenberger" <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Aug 2009 20:33:16 +0200
Hi everybody,

some mails just earlier made me check some of my packages (vlc from the vlc
repo).
I've seen one thing that puzzles me a bit and which I consider a source for
possible problems at this moment.

Just some simple output to 'show' my case:

dle3ams@3120-2914:/usr/lib64/vlc/access> ldd libvcdx_plugin.so | grep iso9660
libiso9660.so.7 => /usr/lib64/libiso9660.so.7 (0x00007f5bf6709000)
dle3ams@3120-2914:/usr/lib64/vlc/access> rpm -qf libvcdx_plugin.so
vlc-noX-1.0.1-2.1
dle3ams@3120-2914:/usr/lib64/vlc/access> rpm -q --requires vlc-noX | grep
iso9660
dle3ams@3120-2914:/usr/lib64/vlc/access>

So in human words:
the package vlc-noX contains a libvcdx access plugin which itself depends on
libiso9660.so.7. The package vlc-noX OTOH does not have this requirement
in it's table. So if somebody installs this package, there is at least this
dependency not being pulled in automatically.

How can this happen and even more important: how can we avoid it? (well I see
one option, but that's rather surprising to me: the same file also
depends on libvcdinfo.so.0, which in turn itself has a dependency on
libiso9660.so.7. Is this already enough to consider not to list this dependency?
This in return would break if there was any other implementation of
libvcdinfo.so.0 that would not depend on libiso9660.so.7 (statically linked or
whatever the cause would be).

At the moment I'm just puzzled... and I'm eager to hear explanations that are
able to take away my fear of things like this breaking around us.

Dominique