Re: [opensuse-packaging] cyclic repo dependencies (Gnome in first place)
  • From: Dirk Müller <dmueller@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 19:54:17 +0200
On Friday 19 June 2009, Vincent Untz wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't clear and this wouldn't help. Here's an example:

ConsoleKit (G:B) needs glib2 (G:F).
gnome-session (G:F) needs ConsoleKit (G:B).

Whatever we do, there'll be a package that needs G:F and is needed by
G:F.

this is only a problem for openSUSE 11.x (with other words non-Factory
users),correct?

depending on gnome-session in G:F needs the latest ConsoleKit to work
/compile at all:

needs latest ConsoleKit:

G:F:
ConsoleKit
gnome-session

G:B
glib2

does not need latest ConsoleKit:

not forcing the latest (possibly unstable or completely nonworking version for
older distros) ConsoleKit onto users is preferred, so:

X11:common:Factory
ConsoleKit

G:B
glib2

G:F
gnome-session (build against G:B for old dists and X11:common:Factory for
factory).

if you would use X11:common:Factory more for such packages that are shared by
GNOME+KDE would definitely help the KDE team. we frequently get complains from
users that try to use GNOME:Factory and KDE:KDE4:Factory:Desktop that we rely
on two different versions of common packages, which breaks one or the other
desktop in horrible ways.

Greetings,
Dirk