Re: Remove .changes was Re: [opensuse-packaging] Another side effect of opening factory
  • From: Pavol Rusnak <prusnak@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Jun 2009 14:28:45 +0200
Thorsten Kukuk wrote:
On Fri, Jun 19, Pavol Rusnak wrote:

Wolfgang Rosenauer wrote:
Pavol Rusnak schrieb:
Michael Matz wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009, Vincent Untz wrote:

Does this mean there will be another external authorative source for
this kind of information in the future (thus, the .spec files will
be edited automatically again)? Or can the local file that the
.spec
They will be formatted - to add the changelog for example. but the
attributes and the texts do not have another source from what I
understood.
Is there any reason we put the changelog data in %changelog since the
data is in .changes files??
No. If you did or do that, you're wasting time. %changelog was and will
be rewritten from the content of .changes. We for instance never cared
for %changelog sections in .spec files, only for .changes files. Simply
leave the section empty (I'm not sure what happens if you leave it out
alltogether, so just empty it).
Right. If you leave it out, rpmlint will emit a warning. But I have
another question: isn't now a good time to get rid off .changes files
completely? (+adjusting tools like vc and osc)
Hum, why?
I very much prefer the *.changes files about the changelog in the spec
file. Why would you want to change that?
1) They are SUSE specific
2) They contain time with timezone, which sometimes cause trouble

Only if you enter them in the wrong order.
Especially the time with timezone information is very helpful for
me track who made which changes at which time in which order.

Entering changes in wrong order is very easy in OBS. Suppose you have 2
submit-requests against the same version. They both contain patch to
.changes file with the same context. When you accept them in the wrong
order (even the higher SR number can contain the older change) you're in
trouble. Thus I would at least prefer normalizing the times to UTC.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravom,

Pavol RUSNAK SUSE LINUX, s.r.o
Package Maintainer Lihovarska 1060/12