Re: [opensuse-packaging] error: invalid conversion from 'const char*' to 'char*'
  • From: Petr Baudis <pasky@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2009 02:42:31 +0200
On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 11:32:34AM +0200, Stephan Kulow wrote:
Am Montag 01 Juni 2009 schrieb Martin Vidner:
Hi,

in case you wonder why your C++ package build started to fail with
error: invalid conversion from 'const char*' to 'char*'

It's because glibc-2.10 has been checked in which contains stricter
prototypes for some functions. Instead of the C prototype
char *strchr(const char *, int)
we have
char *strchr(char *, int)
const char *strchr(const char *, int)

Details are at http://udrepper.livejournal.com/20948.html

Thanks Martin for the pointer. The fallout of this is pretty large so I'm
asking anyone with a failure to fix packages - the change is done easily
done and we need to get the current rate of failures down before we can
integrate more things.

A lot of fixed packages are already waiting to be accepted, thanks for that.
But I'm afraid a lot is left to do ;(

By the way, I just created a sr for another glibc update that might
induce some build failures - in glibc-2.8, namespace pollution of many
header files was fixed and many definitions are now guarded by USE_GNU
etc.; at that time, this introduced too many build failures so we
reverted this change for the time being, but by now, I think most
applications should have been fixed.

--
Petr "Pasky" Baudis
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne. -- Chaucer