Re: [opensuse-packaging] Packages that Requires: pkg-config
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 11:17:05 +0200
From Fedora Guidelines:

"Packages containing pkgconfig(.pc) files must Requires: pkg-config
(for usability)."

I think that's wise and we should follow that. Installed pkg-config
is ~200kB on disk.

I don't see why they need to Require: pkg-config, they will work
perfectly fine without it so at most Recommends: pkg-config.

When a -devel package provides a .pc file, developers expect that all
other projects will detect and include their library with pkg-config
file. Any attempt to compile against such package without pkg-config
should be considered as incorrect.

Huh, not. That would be a very confused upstream policy and if really
required should be very few cases.

That is why I think that "Requires: pkg-config" is a good idea.

No, I think not. Requires are bad.

We should settle on a Recommends then and make it a (usability) policy too.

Greetings, Stephan