Re: [opensuse-packaging] When a -devel package should require another -devel package?
  • From: Stanislav Brabec <sbrabec@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 18:54:45 +0200
Cristian Morales Vega wrote:
Well, just that.
Sometimes I find a -devel package requires another one, why? I do that
when the pkg-config file has a "Requires: XXX" and rpmlint complains
the same isn't in the RPM spec file, but normally I also don't see why
the .pc file has such an entry.

It is not a rpmlint, but an old style build check script.

There are two checks:

.pc check: Checks that all files listed in .pc are in Requires of the
rpm, so you can easily add Requires: foo-devel and everything needed is
included. Starting with rpm 4.6, this check will be obsolete, as rpm
itself will automatically require and provide these packages.

.la check: This is an another story. When .la file is present, you have
to have all .la files listed there, otherwise linking fails. That is why
it is better to remove .la files if you are not packaging static
library nor use libltdl.

One case that makes sense is if the library is statically compiled and
depends on another library, but that's no the common case. So, to know
when I have to fix a .pc file (that should use Requires.private
instead of Requires if the problem are static librariries) and when I
must follow what it says... in which case a -devel package should
depend on another one?

The check above now ignores Requires.private, so only missing Requires
dependencies are reported. One may consider it is a bug.

With shared libraries I can't think of any
valid case...

True if you don't have .la file.

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,