[opensuse-packaging] About next milestone
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 May 2009 12:18:52 +0200
Hi,

Milestone2 is currently uploading to the mirrors, so it's a good
time to discuss briefly the goals for milestone 3.

In my timeline (http://www.suse.de/~coolo/opensuse_11.2/) the next
steps are:

04 Jun: Toolchain Freeze
07 Jun-30 Jun: Milestone 3

Milestone 3 has a corridor and not a deadline because I want to be
flexible when to release it. If milestone 2 is too broken in detail,
milestone 2 will be early, but not earlier than it works. And the
later we get in the corridor, the more package updates I block to
get some kind of in between freeze.

You might have experienced this too with Milestone 2 - we could
have spent way more time rebuilding the distribution to get everything
in, but I decided case by case what's left to fix before the milestone.
So if you have fixed something you feel important, then submit your
package and don't wait for random deadlines. Factory can be installed
every day and the early milestones are mere snapshots that work good
enough to be released for more detailed testing.

Milestone 2 was about getting gcc4.4 in, if you have some large scale
change in the making that fits the corridor, then please let me know,
so we make sure milestone 3 has the change. If you don't talk to me,
I will continue picking what I see coming submitted to factory (the
earlier we are, the more I pick of course).

Greetings, Stephan