Re: [opensuse-packaging] Editing openSUSE packages
  • From: Wolfgang Rosenauer <wolfgang@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 06 May 2009 20:50:31 +0200

I'm no Novell employee so probably know all the details but I can try.

Cristian Morales Vega schrieb:
There are some questions I face every time I create a submitreq
against a package created by Novell/SUSE.

So you talk about submitreq which should end up in Factory aka the
official openSUSE?

a) ready file: If I remember correctly this is imported from the old
autobuild. I can and even should remove it, true?

Currently it will reappear AFAIK if you remove it. So something still
creates it when it hits Factory.

b) Changelog: It's common that there is a .changes file but at the
same time the spec file has a copy of it. I can and even should remove
the changelog from the spec file and continue editing the .changes
file, true?

No need to remove the changelog in the spec file since it gets readded
automatically when committed to Factory from information in *.changes.

c) The copyright headers: what about them? I suppose they were created
automatically... now they just are a problem to me.
- Are they really needed??? I would really prefer them to be removed.
I don't have any problem asigning copyright to openSUSE or Novell, but
if they can be removed it's something less to worry about.
If aren't removed
- I found one that says "Copyright (c) 2007"... should I change it to
"Copyright (c) 2007-2009" or to "Copyright (c) 2009"? Any specific
format? I don't really know if it's important from a law POV.
- "spec file for package <package> (Version <version>)". I really hate
to have an extra place where I need to change the version, it's really

Again once the package goes to Factory all the information and headers
are changed. So you don't need to fiddle with it at all since you have
no control speaking for Factory.

d) "# norootforbuild". It's normally there.
says it's obsolete. There are places where it's used: . Just
for uniformity, we keep or remove it? What "obsolete" means? Is
rpmbuild ignoring it?

norootforbuild is the default so it's not needed anymore.
I think there is "userootforbuild" which does the opposite.

-) %description... well, this hasn't nothing to do with old
Novell/SUSE packages. But since I'm writing this. There is any policy
about the line length? I normally use 80 chars lines, manually. Not
sure if kwrite/kate can help with this.

I'm not sure but for completeness: For Factory packages you don't have
control at all since the description is overwritten with data in some
SUSE internal database (as summary and license).