[opensuse-packaging] Editing openSUSE packages
  • From: Cristian Morales Vega <cmorve69@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 20:38:46 +0200
There are some questions I face every time I create a submitreq
against a package created by Novell/SUSE.

a) ready file: If I remember correctly this is imported from the old
autobuild. I can and even should remove it, true?
b) Changelog: It's common that there is a .changes file but at the
same time the spec file has a copy of it. I can and even should remove
the changelog from the spec file and continue editing the .changes
file, true?
c) The copyright headers: what about them? I suppose they were created
automatically... now they just are a problem to me.
- Are they really needed??? I would really prefer them to be removed.
I don't have any problem asigning copyright to openSUSE or Novell, but
if they can be removed it's something less to worry about.
If aren't removed
- I found one that says "Copyright (c) 2007"... should I change it to
"Copyright (c) 2007-2009" or to "Copyright (c) 2009"? Any specific
format? I don't really know if it's important from a law POV.
- "spec file for package <package> (Version <version>)". I really hate
to have an extra place where I need to change the version, it's really
d) "# norootforbuild". It's normally there.
says it's obsolete. There are places where it's used: . Just
for uniformity, we keep or remove it? What "obsolete" means? Is
rpmbuild ignoring it?

-) %description... well, this hasn't nothing to do with old
Novell/SUSE packages. But since I'm writing this. There is any policy
about the line length? I normally use 80 chars lines, manually. Not
sure if kwrite/kate can help with this.