Re: [opensuse-packaging] /etc/modprobe.* changes
  • From: "Dominique Leuenberger" <Dominique.Leuenberger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2009 17:05:09 +0100
On 3/16/2009 at 15:08, Michal Marek <mmarek@xxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

the new module-init-tools, which will appear in Factory soon, deprecated
/etc/modprobe.conf(.local) and only uses /etc/modprobe.d/*.conf
configuration files (files without the .conf suffix are still read, but
cause a warning). I tried to find and fix packages that install modprobe
config files, but in case I missed some, the fix is simple:
change /etc/modprobe.d/$name to /etc/modprobe.d/50-$name.conf.

Also, mkinitrd should be updated to not copy /etc/modprobe.conf* if it's
not there.

Michal,

the vmware KMPs install a /etc/modprobe.d/vmnics file. I will change this to
the new file name with the next monthly sync with upstream.

I was though wondering what importance / function the number 50 has. I assume
it is sort of priorization? Can you elaborate on this please? Also
$name: should this be in any way related to the package name? so far, the
vmware-kmp installs a file called vmnics (as it mangles the loading of
vmnics (virtual machine nics). Should that also be adjusted to reflect any
given name?

Dominique