Re: [opensuse-packaging] translation-update-upstream: new package and feature
  • From: Magnus Boman <captain.magnus@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 07:25:23 +1100
On Tue, 2009-02-17 at 16:40 +0100, Stanislav Brabec wrote:
When we freeze our package versions, new upstream translations are not
updated any more. Some of our products have a long life cycle. It would
be nice to get translations updated from upstream with a minimal effort.

It's the purpose of translation-update-upstream: new package and tool.

Q: Why we need to pollute openSUSE, if this feature is interesting only
for SLE?

A: Such large change cannot be done in late beta or rc phase. It must be
ready as soon as possible, only translation data file updates will have
to be done in the rc phase.

rpmlint could be extended to catch all of the potential issues with
packages that we build for openSUSE

Q: Isn't it best to modify OBS to support this?

A: No:
- The tool has to have access to network.

When doing this during compile time, the tool doesn't have access to the
network. Why would it be different if OBS had to handle it?

- String collecting may require manual intervence in case of upstream
errors.

See rpmlint suggestion above

Q: Wouldn't it be better to modify %setup?

A: No:
- It would bring additional "magical" divergence from upstream.

But if %setup is extended only in OBS and only for repositories that are
actually built for SLE, it wouldn't diverge at all for openSUSE
packages. Since it's a simple (sorry, I don't mean simple as in a 1 one
script that prints hello world) bash script, it would have a list of
files that compares it to what package %setup is running on and take
appropriate actions.

- Things may need tuning (e. g. for non-standard po directories)

See rpmlint suggestion above

My view of this is, that when building SLE (which I guess is not done in
the public OBS) the %setup macro could be extended to do this work
automatically. While openSUSE is being packaged and built in the public
OBS, rpmlint can do the checks that are in place for this tool and
generate a warning. The people involved in SLE would simply have to
check the build result of packages that are of interest and fix them as
appropriate. So once packages are copied for a new SLE version, there
should be any errors.

Adding a BuildRequires and the needed line after %setup to each .spec
file would, in my opinion, make the package less portable to other
distros etc since it either have to be removed or one have to add %if
checks.

Thanks,
Magnus