Re: [opensuse-packaging] Desktop categories: mismatch in brp-desktop and rpmlint
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 11:02:21 +0100
Am Montag 16 Februar 2009 schrieb Vincent Untz:
Le samedi 14 février 2009, à 23:20 +0000, David Bolt a écrit :
On Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Stephan Kulow wrote:-

<snip>

brp-desktop checks if the desktop file will map to one of our menu
structures. And according to /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu the
category is X-SuSE-Core-Multimedia, but AudiVideo already maps there.

Purely out of curiosity, I've built up a list of all the desktop
categories using those in the openSUSE packaging guidelines and those
listed on freedesk.org. I've then tested whether they are valid using
desktop-file-validate test and also whether they pass the rpmlint
checks[0]. I've considered adding the list to the wiki but wondered if
anyone has a good idea where it should be placed, and where to add links
pointing to it.

FWIW, I'm more and more convinced that we should just remove all
X-SuSE-* categories and only use the ones in the specifications. [1] We
can fix the spec where it needs to be fixed.

The first step would be to change /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menus to
only use upstream categories.

It's a long-term effort, but I think we can still fix this during 11.2
if we want since we have quite some time before the release.

What's the benefit for either us or the user?

Greetings, Stephan