Re: [opensuse-packaging] Desktop categories: mismatch in brp-desktop and rpmlint
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 18:23:26 +0100
Le samedi 14 février 2009, à 23:20 +0000, David Bolt a écrit :
On Mon, 26 Jan 2009, Stephan Kulow wrote:-

<snip>

brp-desktop checks if the desktop file will map to one of our menu
structures.
And according to /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menu the category is
X-SuSE-Core-Multimedia, but AudiVideo already maps there.

Purely out of curiosity, I've built up a list of all the desktop
categories using those in the openSUSE packaging guidelines and those
listed on freedesk.org. I've then tested whether they are valid using
desktop-file-validate test and also whether they pass the rpmlint
checks[0]. I've considered adding the list to the wiki but wondered if
anyone has a good idea where it should be placed, and where to add links
pointing to it.

FWIW, I'm more and more convinced that we should just remove all
X-SuSE-* categories and only use the ones in the specifications. [1] We
can fix the spec where it needs to be fixed.

The first step would be to change /etc/xdg/menus/applications.menus to
only use upstream categories.

It's a long-term effort, but I think we can still fix this during 11.2
if we want since we have quite some time before the release.

Vincent

[1] There might be a few cases where we'd still really really really
need a custom category, but right now it's hard to know.

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.