Re: [opensuse-packaging] openSUSE vs Fedora packaging documentation
  • From: Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 14:15:41 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

On Feb 13 11:35 Michal Vyskocil wrote (shortened):
On Friday 13 of February 2009 10:52:35 Johannes Meixner wrote:
On Feb 13 09:39 Michal Vyskocil wrote (shortened):
And we will get another 'Please not bypass a devel project' [1] e-mail
here.
[1] http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-packaging/2009-01/msg00135.html

I have nothing to do with Gnome but I do not understand
what the mail is about.
When I am a package maintainer for a software package called "foo",
I am not interested in which zillions of whatever kind of projects
the software package "foo" is used.

We have a nice idea and feature called Colaboration [1].
[1] http://en.opensuse.org/Build_Service/Collaboration

You misunderstood what I actually meant because
we do have internal tools which are called "getpac"
and "submitpac" and unfortunately I used those names.
But I did mean our actual internal tools getpac and submitpac.
I meant "getpac" and "submitpac" only as placeholders.

I do not care at all hwo the tool is called
(getpac, submitpac, osc, whatever else).
I just want to have a tool which does what I described.

Now regarding our actual internal tools getpac and submitpac:
When I can use our internal tools getpac and submitpac
(without getting error or warning messages)
and when this disturbs whatever other project which depends
somehow on my packages, it is not my problem - it is only
a problem of the packaging environment.

By the way:

I wrote:
If I have to fix a bug in "foo" for "openSUSE 11.0" I do:
1.
getpac foo for openSUSE 11.0
2.
change the package sources so that the bug is fixed
3.
submitpac foo for openSUSE 11.0

You may wonder what should happen if "foo" fails to build
in the "openSUSE 11.0" build environment.

Not the packager but submitpac would have to care about this.

If build fails, the new but broken package sources should not
be comitted to the "openSUSE 11.0" package source repository
so that a subsequent "getpac foo for openSUSE 11.0" should
result the old clean sources together with a notification
that there are newer submitted but not comitted sources
and a reason why the newer sources are not comitted.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex