Re: [opensuse-packaging] openSUSE vs Fedora packaging documentation
  • From: Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 10:52:35 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

On Feb 13 09:39 Michal Vyskocil wrote (shortened):
On Thursday 12 of February 2009 17:37:18 Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Stanislav Brabec wrote:

All packagers are involved and every one
has to complete the task for all maintained packages:
grep ^%run_ldconfig */*.spec | wc -l
359

for/getpac/sed/submitpac :-)

I fully agree here!
Why bother all packagers when it could be solved automatically
at least for very most cases?
When a macro is used, why not change to what the macro evaluates
(even if it may evaluate to nil if it has become obsolete)?

And we will get another 'Please not bypass a devel project' [1] e-mail here.
[1] http://lists.opensuse.org/opensuse-packaging/2009-01/msg00135.html

I have nothing to do with Gnome but I do not understand
what the mail is about.
When I am a package maintainer for a software package called "foo",
I am not interested in which zillions of whatever kind of projects
the software package "foo" is used.
I am only interested to get the right package sources for "foo".
What is "the right package sources"?
I don't know and I don't want to know!
All I know is that someone may have told me that "foo" has a
bug in e.g. "openSUSE 11.0" or that I like to provide the
newest version of "foo" for "the openSUSE project".

If I have to fix a bug in "foo" for "openSUSE 11.0" I do:
1.
getpac foo for openSUSE 11.0 (I know our exact syntax ;-)
2.
change the package sources so that the bug is fixed
3.
submitpac foo for openSUSE 11.0

If I like to provide the newest version of "foo"
for "the openSUSE project" I do:
1.
getpac foo for openSUSE
2.
change the package sources so that it includes the newest version
3.
submitpac foo for openSUSE

If this somehow disturbs whatever other project which depends
somehow on "foo", it is not my problem - it is only a problem
of the packaging environment.

By the way:
getpac foo for this
followed by a
submitpac foo for that
shoud exit with a nice red blinking error message
but
submitpac foo enforce for that
might be a reasonable functionality.

Kind Regards