Re: [opensuse-packaging] openSUSE vs Fedora packaging documentation
  • From: Stanislav Brabec <sbrabec@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 16:21:36 +0100
Ludwig Nussel wrote:
Johannes Meixner wrote:

I don't know if the ':-)' was meant for the whole paragraph.
If not, what you wrote is - as far as I see - a total misunderstandig
of what Stanislav Brabec meant.
Using whatever check-tool on top of RPM is the totally wrong way
to "solve" any intrinsic problem in RPM.

I had the impression that there is some frustration that even basic
policy changes aren't fully enforced after years. I wanted to remind
that someone has to step up and just do it in those specific cases
mentioned above.

Even such simple policy change needs years to complete just because rpm
has no way to do it globally. All packagers are involved and every one
has to complete the task for all maintained packages:
grep ^%run_ldconfig */*.spec | wc -l
359

How many years would take enabling of final force-fail check for Fedora
incompatible packages?

Here is an example from class based build system:

openembedded/classes/package.bbclass, line 662:
postinst += bb.data.getVar('ldconfig_postinst_fragment', d, 1)

Changing of ldconfig_postinst_fragment value you will change this policy
for all packages in the whole distribution.

New policy can be enforced in less that one minute.

Benefits:
Work time to implement: 0.01%
Time required to enforce policy: 0.0001%

--
Best Regards / S pozdravem,

Stanislav Brabec
software developer