Re: [opensuse-packaging] openSUSE vs Fedora packaging documentation
  • From: Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 15:51:01 +0100
Johannes Meixner wrote:
On Feb 12 13:52 Ludwig Nussel wrote (shortened):

Stanislav Brabec wrote:
Example: Imagine, that %run_ldconfig was deprecated in SuSE several
years ago, but it is still widely found in our packages. Exactly the
same situation affect Shared Library Packaging Rules. Now multiply the
amount of work (or time) to fix the whole distro by 5-10 and you are
near to the spec file unification.

Well, that's just a matter of making certain rpmlint check failures
finally fatal. It's just that someone will have to sustain the wrath
of packagers (and coolo who wants so create snapshots) afterwards :-)

I don't know if the ':-)' was meant for the whole paragraph.
If not, what you wrote is - as far as I see - a total misunderstandig
of what Stanislav Brabec meant.
Using whatever check-tool on top of RPM is the totally wrong way
to "solve" any intrinsic problem in RPM.

Actually I didn't intend to participate in a philosophical
discussion about rpm, spec files nor how packaging policy gets
applied.
I had the impression that there is some frustration that even basic
policy changes aren't fully enforced after years. I wanted to remind
that someone has to step up and just do it in those specific cases
mentioned above.

cu
Ludwig

--