Re: [opensuse-packaging] openSUSE vs Fedora packaging documentation
  • From: Johannes Meixner <jsmeix@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 14:56:11 +0100 (CET)

Hello,

On Feb 12 13:52 Ludwig Nussel wrote (shortened):

Stanislav Brabec wrote:
Example: Imagine, that %run_ldconfig was deprecated in SuSE several
years ago, but it is still widely found in our packages. Exactly the
same situation affect Shared Library Packaging Rules. Now multiply the
amount of work (or time) to fix the whole distro by 5-10 and you are
near to the spec file unification.

Well, that's just a matter of making certain rpmlint check failures
finally fatal. It's just that someone will have to sustain the wrath
of packagers (and coolo who wants so create snapshots) afterwards :-)

I don't know if the ':-)' was meant for the whole paragraph.
If not, what you wrote is - as far as I see - a total misunderstandig
of what Stanislav Brabec meant.
Using whatever check-tool on top of RPM is the totally wrong way
to "solve" any intrinsic problem in RPM.
Therefore the wrath of packagers who are annoyed by fatal failures
of whatever check-tools on top of RPM is correct and justified.
Remember RFC1925 in particular item (6) and (6a) therein.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
AG Nuernberg, HRB 16746, GF: Markus Rex