Re: [opensuse-packaging] Please do not bypass the devel projects
  • From: Michal Marek <mmarek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 11:42:14 +0100
Bernhard Walle napsal(a):
My point is that even hg is too complicated for packaging. IMO every DVCS is
too complicated for the packager that maintains two or three packages. It's
easier to get an error when you commit and the remote copy has been updated
than having to merge afterwards.

I'm quite sure that this will be the reaction if you switch to git/hg.
Because
it was the reaction in a project where we switched from svn to hg ("Why can't
we just continue with svn, it was simple"). But I cannot proof it.

:-). When we switched the SUSE kernel package repo from cvs to git, a
few people weren't entirely happy about it ("I have to first commit and
then push? WHAT?? And checking out a remote branch takes multiple
command line switches? Are you kidding??"). And these are kernel
hackers, so I think you have a point here.

Michal