Re: [opensuse-packaging] Changelog policy
  • From: Karl Eichwalder <ke@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2009 19:34:08 +0100
Mads Martin Joergensen <mmj@xxxxxx> writes:

Back when I was in-house I advocated to copy Changes, NEWS, whereever
the changelog for the software itself is, and I still do. It's very
convienient to be able to access this information when off-line, etc.

For sheer convienience it's great.

I consider it very unconvienient esp. because contents and format of
said files look different in all these upstream packages. I'd rather
would like us to summarize upstream changes consistently. This would
mean real work and nobody dares to ask for it...

Besides. It's the changes to the software, hence the package. If you
dont want it, it should be called package-container changes.

Otherwise Richard is right that .changes should mostly about packaging
related changes, and, from there concerning a perfect GNU package you
should just reference

http://www.gnu.org/software/<package>/NEWS.<version>

or something very similar.

--