Re: [opensuse-packaging] Dependencies between packages and their YaST module
  • From: Christian Boltz <opensuse@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2008 13:47:26 +0200
Hello,

on Mittwoch, 10. September 2008, Dirk Müller wrote:
On Sunday 07 September 2008, Christian Boltz wrote:
- "each YaST module should have a Suplements: for the package it
configures"
This might even be the better solution because it is easier to
check ("each YaST package must have at least one Supplements:
statement")

that might be difficult for things like yast2-mail

Requires: smtp_daemon should work.
Whatever package provides the smtp_daemon symbol will fit this.

or any other yast2 module that configures multiple alternative
implementations.

Those packages should provide a common symbol which can be used in the
Supplements: of the YaST package.

The reverse, as you noticed, however is not automatically verifyable
with e.g. rpmlint. at least I don't know how..

rpm -q --supplements yast2-foo (and check if it is != "(none)")
should help - but I'm not a rpmlint expert ;-)

The basic question is: which way is better?
a) Package yast2-foo Supplemens: foo
b) Package foo Recommends: yast2-foo

Technically (from the dependency solving POV) both ways will work.

The advantage of a) is that it can be checked automatically (as
in "every YaST module is used to configure a package/functionality").
Another advantage is that the information which yast-foo package is used
for package foo is kept at the right place which is the yast-foo
package IMHO.

Auto-checking b) would be very nice ("every package has a YaST module to
configure it") - but I'm afraid this more a dream than doable in
reality ;-)

BTW: Even if rpmlint can not check this for now for whatever reason,
it should at least be added to the packaging guidelines.

Regards,

Christian Boltz
--
Ein Update auf eine EIN JAHR alte Version?
Ich denke er hat einfach auf das geupdated, was bei Debian derzeit