Re: [opensuse-packaging] Menu handling
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 10:50:59 +0200
Le lundi 21 avril 2008, à 21:37 +0200, Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek a écrit :
Hi,

Many years ago, SuSE used selfmade menu. Now, according to
freedesktop.org's specs and implementations in software there's no need.

Upstream provides .desktop files, mostly well translated.

By creating .desktop files, you're reinventing the wheel, making SUSE's
menu entries inconsistent with other distros, and messing in menu.

You may ask "what's that mess?".

The mess is:
* more categories than entries in those categories
* entries duplication
* wrong categories set (Liferea is RSS aggregator, not newsgroups
client/whatever, same applies for Miro)
* configuration apps not in GNOME's control center but in usual
"Applications" menu and/or application browser

openSUSE should stop that. Apps already provide .desktop files, as said
before. desktop-file-install should be used to install them (probably
with --vendor and --delete original as schema).

Screenshots from GNOME: http://www.sendspace.com/file/mtf3lw
I'll probably have to find better host for these screenshots.
Tell me, when this doesn't work.

That's most probably because of the menu files that are used. We have
applications.menu, applications.menu.kde and applications.menu.gnome --
I'm not sure all GNOME applications use applications.menu.gnome (and
looking at this file, it seems outdated). So we can fix it in the
packaging of gnome-menus, I believe.

Btw, does anyone know why we have applications.menu.kde instead of
kde-applications.menu? This is what the fd.o specs recommends (search
for XDG_MENU_PREFIX in
http://specifications.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/menu-spec-latest.html)

Vincent

--