Re: [opensuse-packaging] Menu handling
  • From: Vincent Untz <vuntz@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 10:43:11 +0200

Jakub 'Livio' Rusinek wrote:
| Many years ago, SuSE used selfmade menu. Now, according to
| freedesktop.org's specs and implementations in software there's no need.
|
| Upstream provides .desktop files, mostly well translated.

Not from my experience. They're almost always having Fedora categories
(Applications/*), which are quite simplistic and do not comply with the
SUSE Package Conventions.

| By creating .desktop files, you're reinventing the wheel, making SUSE's
| menu entries inconsistent with other distros, and messing in menu.
[...]

| * wrong categories set (Liferea is RSS aggregator, not newsgroups
| client/whatever, same applies for Miro)

Cool. What "RSS aggregator" do you mean ?
http://en.opensuse.org/SUSE_Package_Conventions/Desktop_Menu#9.4._Category_List

This list contains invalid categories -- ie categories that are not
defined in
http://specifications.freedesktop.org/menu-spec/menu-spec-latest.html#category-registry
and that are not prefixed by X-. Didn't have time to fix this, but it's
on my todo list :-)

| * configuration apps not in GNOME's control center but in usual
| "Applications" menu and/or application browser
|
| openSUSE should stop that. Apps already provide .desktop files, as said
| before. desktop-file-install should be used to install them (probably
| with --vendor and --delete original as schema).

Again, from my experience they almost never provide .desktop files that
match openSUSE's tree of categories.
Thinking of it, make that "almost never" a "never"

Wouldn't it make sense to fix upstream desktop files to have the right
categories? It would mean much less work.

Vincent

--
Les gens heureux ne sont pas pressés.