Re: [opensuse-packaging] FYI: glibc 2.8 may break some of your packages
  • From: Stephan Kulow <coolo@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 10:23:19 +0200
Am Freitag 11 April 2008 schrieb Cristian Rodríguez:
HI all :

Hi Cristian,

thanks for the details.

Factory currenlty has glibc 2.8 which may break some of your packages,
Im going to describe just one possible breakage, and hope someone else
can contribute information about other breakages.

We backed out most of this - leaving it to BETA for now. glibc 2.8 will
be released pretty quickly, leaving our glibc 2.7 as pretty old, so we
decided to take some risk, surely not expecting that many problems.

glibc 2.8 no longer defines ARG_MAX constant in linux, so you may see:

foobar.c:N: error: 'ARG_MAX' undeclared (first use in this function)

To fix this problem you can use something like this

Note, that the code should have done that before too, as the glibc info
pages say:

Each of the following limit parameters has a macro that is defined in
`limits.h' only if the system has a fixed, uniform limit for the
parameter in question. If the system allows different file systems or
files to have different limits, then the macro is undefined; use
`sysconf' to find out the limit that applies at a particular time on a
particular machine.

Greetings, Stephan