Re: [opensuse-packaging] rpm5.org
  • From: Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 17:10:28 +0200
On Thu, Oct 25, Marcus Meissner wrote:

On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 04:44:44PM +0200, Peter Czanik wrote:
Hello,

Marcus Meissner wrote:
This is due to some PAM requirements conceptional misunderstandings.

We have to have both 32bit and 64bit PAM modules usually and this bled
into requirements of some packages.

Could you provide an online update for ppc32, which kicks off these
64bit requirements? Right now the situation is, that 100+ 64bit packages
are about to be installed on update, but it fails, as pre/post install
scripts obviously don not work, as 64bit software does not execute at
all on 32bit...

You have already opened a bug and we will handle it there.

The problem is btw pam-config which fails if not both modules are
there, which caused the interesting additional requirements.

Nope, pam-config has no problem in this case, because pam-config
detects that it is a pure 32bit system and that it does not need
64bit and 32bit PAM modules.

But RPM does not know about such "weak" dependencies, there
you can only depend packages or not. And if you have a 64bit
POWER system, you need the hard dependencies to be able to
login.

Thorsten
GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nuernberg)