Re: AW: [opensuse-packaging] problematic new path naming structure
  • From: Michal Marek <mmarek@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2007 14:25:15 +0100

Jurzitza, Dieter wrote:
> Though I agree that the naming I coose is probably not optimal as
> these modules are not "persistent" by themselfes, the persistence will
> last as long as the ABI compatibility will last. But this in turn
> gives persistence and therefore I still think to use "persistence" in
> the name is not the worst choice in this regard.
>
> Therefore I do not agree entirely with Roberts arguments. These
> modules belong to 2.6.18.2 in the same way as they belong to 2.6.18.8
> or any other 2.6.X kernel that keeps this part of the ABI constant.
> From what I have learned they are not initially related to 2.6.18.2.

The modules _do_ belong to 2.6.18.2-34, meaning they were built against
this kernel. They just happen to work with the updated kernel, too.

> And one could remove the reference to the individual kernel entirely:
> Call the directory /lib/modules/persistent from the very begin. Maybe
> one would like to use persistent-default / persistent-bigsmp.

Are you sure the modules will work with, say, 2.6.25? At some point (eg.
in the next openSUSE release), the compatibility with 2.6.18.2-34
modules might break, but you don't know in advance when => the directory
of the kernel release used for building the modules fits best IMO.

Michal