Re: [opensuse-packaging] Proposal: Any "rm" in .spec %install must be commented
  • From: Marcus Rueckert <mrueckert@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 19:46:33 +0100
On 2007-03-15 13:39:55 -0400, Joe Shaw wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-03-15 at 18:17 +0100, Juergen Weigert wrote:
> > Good point. Mandatory comments are counter productive.
> >
> > If comments are mandatory, they will be more often at the
> > bullshit end of the spectrum than not.
> > With a high noise level around it, even the good comments become useless.
> > So -- let us fight against those comments, that repeat just the obvious.
>
> To me, this whole discussion highlights the necessity of having a
> revision control system underlying a build system, at least for things
> like spec files.
>
> If the spec file itself doesn't have a comment, or has a confusing one,
> you would hope that the commit message does. Failing that, you at least
> know who made the change and when, so you can confront them. :) Plus
> you'll be able to narrow down when the problem was introduced and revert
> only that single part.

the rpm changelog/changes file is meant for stuff like that ... but you
often cant track changes entries to lines. thats where a local comment
comes into play. you would, maybe even should, do the same with vcs
controlled file.

last but not least both, our internal system and the buildservice
save all revisions of a package.

darix

--
openSUSE - SUSE Linux is my linux