Re: [opensuse-packaging] Proposal: Any "rm" in .spec %install must be commented
  • From: Michael Matz <matz@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 15:55:51 +0100 (CET)
Hi,

On Thu, 15 Mar 2007, Stephan Kulow wrote:

> > I don't see what the build team has to do with that.
> > Are you really making the case for not writing comments? I can't believe
> > that.
> There are things on earth harder to believe - say Matz before 9 on a
> thursday :)

What exactly does that have to do in this thread?

> I'm not speaking against comments but against having a policy to reject
> packages without comments.

That would be a too hard policy, I agree. Especially I wouldn't agree to
only reject packages which don't comment 'rm' commands in %install
sections, that's rather arbitrary. But I'm sympathetic to a policy
where the checkin team would reject a package for needing comments. But
the checkin team already can reject packages, so there's no need for such
extra policy.

> Because rm calls are no special than sed calls or grep -v calls or
> _anything_ hacky. But as others said: what is hacky lies in the eye of
> the reader/writer, so I don't want to see that in a policy.
>
> "Packagers should have a clue what they're doing or document they have none"
> is as good as it gets for me :)

See above. If the checkin team would look over .spec files and sees
questionable practices, it should require a comment from the maintainer,
even if that maintainer completely knows what he's doing (or thinks so).
That is sort of a policy too, but the detailed rules (when and where to
require comments) would lie at the shoulders of the checkin team. That
uncertainty would push maintainers somewhat to actually write sensible
comments more often, which IMO is a good thing.

So, instead of policy, we should encourage the checkin team to actively
reject package changes with a too high magic-to-comment ratio.

Ciao,
Michael.