Re: [opensuse-packaging] Please consider including VirtualBox with openSUSE 10.3
  • From: "Alexey Eremenko" <al4321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 00:00:57 +0200
On 3/13/07, jdd <jdd@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Alexey Eremenko wrote:
> Hi all !
>
> Please consider including VirtualBox package with openSUSE 10.3.
> I'm heavy emulators/virtualization user, so this addition would be
> important for me.

this seems very interesting. I read your paper then have some questions:

* it seems quite similar to VMware as of the features/install, true?
* I don't see the extremely ugly "recompile module for a given kernel"
than vmware have. Is that true or is the dl bind to a kernel? (I use
10.1, right now)

VirtualBox has a similar feature-set to VMware. Due to this program
being new, it is less stable currently, but improves quickly.

Feature-set includes:
-Professional, User-Friendly, Qt3-based GUI
-Official Innotek Documentation (+ my documentation article on SUSE LfL)
-Disk Snapshots aka saved states
-Audio (OSS+ALSA)
-Guest VM Additions/Integration - something which other proprietary
software had for years, but not available under OSS solutions until
now - Qemu/Xen has nothing like this.
-Works with Windows/Linux as both Host/Guest with full integration
support on both platforms. Support for Solaris UNIX planned.
-Only x86 is supported. x86-64 is planned.
-Networking: NAT+Host-Networking with TAP (you can use host platform
for routing/port forwarding/bridging - VBox relies on Host OS for that
functionality)
-Works as user-mode app (w/o root priviledges) - root only needed during setup.
-Like VMware, it installs kernel-drivers (LKMs) on Host system. (but
unlike VMware, it's damn easy to do with VBox) - so yes, it recompiles
modules, but with much less manual work compared to VMware.
-Very Fast (faster than most other solutions, excluding Xen)
-Doesn't require any Vanderpool CPU. Uses normal processors.
-Dual Licensing (similar to TrollTech) - proprietary + Open-Source GPL
(since this is OSS now - since 2007 - we can build a kernel module and
include with openSUSE)
-...

* does this have the "permanent" versus "temporary" system of vmware?
(one can lock the vm image, use and write on the vm guest and choose
to save or don't save when quitting)

Yes, VBox has a "snapshot" feature.

NB: the VirtualBox home page wiki is extremely slow, may be because
your mail :-))

rumors say that VirtualBox home currently experiencing some issues
now... Usually it works damn-fast. Perhaps it is under reconstruction.
It should have new release soon. (in few days)

-Alexey