[opensuse-packaging] Please consider including VirtualBox with openSUSE 10.3
  • From: "Alexey Eremenko" <al4321@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 20:38:26 +0200
Hi all !

Please consider including VirtualBox package with openSUSE 10.3.
I'm heavy emulators/virtualization user, so this addition would be
important for me.

openSUSE already includes many products from that field, including
Bochs, Qemu, DOSBox, Xen, ... so why not add this one too ?

This new virtualization solution appeared on the market only recently,
in 2007 as open-source GPL'ed product. I think it is better than the
currently existing Open-Source solutions.
This product is very high-class and an excellent competitor to
proprietary software such as VMware, and so, the least we can do as a
community, is to support this effort, and build a competition to the
very pricey&proprietary VMware.

On my side, I have made a push of VirtualBox into 10.3 - I did it by
submitting VirtualBox detailed step-by-step setup article into Lessons
for Lizards, so if the package gets included it will have
documentation already available.

So openSUSE 10.3 final release has a good chance to have both the
package and my documentation available same-day-release. I want the
final users of 10.3 to get maximum.

NOTE: There is an official documentation available, but it deals
poorly with SUSE-specific issues, so my documentation has an added
extra-value.

You can read my article here: (NOTE: link will expire soon, so if you
have problem email me, and I will send you the article directly)
http://download.yousendit.com/6E957103384F0318

Alternatively, you can download it from LfL SVN.

VirtualBox Home Page:
www.virtualbox.org

What do you think of it?

-Alexey Eremenko