Re: [opensuse-packaging] Packaging libtool archives (*.la files)
  • From: Thorsten Kukuk <kukuk@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 10:20:18 +0200
On Fri, Aug 25, Andreas Hanke wrote:

> Hi,
>
> while looking at various spec files, I noticed that it seems to become
> increasingly popular these days that libtool archives (*.la files) are
> removed from packages, by deleting them during the build or by using the
> %exclude directive or similar.
>
> Is there a general policy about this?

The general policy is: Remove it if this makes no trouble.

> The idea seems to come from Fedora,

No, we did it (at least I for my packages) for a much longer time
than Fedora.

> where this _is_ a general policy. I'd like to know whether we
> have a similar policy or whether each packager decides that himself.

There are three kind of packages:

- The package will stop working if you remove the *.la file
- Building other packages will become much order or will break
- A lot of problems will be solved by removing the *.la file
or nobody cares.

In the first case we will of course not remove the *.la file. In
the seond case: depends on if there is the time to fix all other
packages. In the third case: remove it.

Thorsten

--
Thorsten Kukuk http://www.suse.de/~kukuk/ kukuk@xxxxxxx
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH Maxfeldstr. 5 D-90409 Nuernberg