Re: [opensuse-packaging] Versioned provides ??
  • From: Robert Schiele <rschiele@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2006 03:52:05 +0200
On Sat, Jun 17, 2006 at 12:55:23PM +1200, Volker Kuhlmann wrote:
> Ok so we have a bunch of packages which require X, but X is already on
> the system, albeit without a Provide. That sounds like an obvious
> workaround of compiling
>
> Name: rpmlib-missingdep
> Version: suse10.1
> Release: 1
> BuildArchitectures: noarch
> Provides: rpmlib(PatchRPMs) = 3.0.6-1
>
> into a package and installing that.

That cannot work because the implementation of RPM does check these
dependencies with a special case and not by looking them up in the RPM
database. Note that even in a system that does not have the above bug these
symbols are _not_ in the database. It wouldn't really make sense to check for
these dependencies in the database because you can install a valid system with
rpm into a special root directory without installing rpm within this special
root directory itself. Who should provide the symbols in that case. Another
point is that these symbols specify features that are required for
_installation_ of the package and not for running the applications packaged.

Robert

--
Robert Schiele Tel.: +49-621-181-2214
Dipl.-Wirtsch.informatiker mailto:rschiele@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx