Re: [opensuse-packaging] Automatically installing "plugins" via dependencies
  • From: Reinhard Max <max@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2006 13:38:04 +0200 (CEST)
On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 at 12:53, Klaus Kaempf wrote:

> * Reinhard Max <max@xxxxxxx> [Jun 16. 2006 12:47]:
> >
> > I think an ideal solution for this (so that package cluttering is
> > avoided but not too many dependencies are skipped) would be if RPM
> > provided a way to specify, "The dependencies of this shared object are
> > weak. The package will work fine when they are not resolved, but tell
> > the user that he will get this and that additional functionality when
> > he choses to resolve them."
>
> We have this kind of dependency (suggests).

Can I tell rpmbuild's automatic dependency collector that all
dependencies of a certain shared object inside my package will be of
the kind "Suggests:" rather than "Requires:"? Otherwise I'd still have
to hide these files from the automagic and maintain the tags by hand,
which is either too generic (when only suggesting by package name) or
too much manual work (when suggesting by soname and having to touch my
package every time the soname changes).

And can I add some descriptive text to a suggests dependency that will
be presented to the user (once a frontend exists) to help him making
his decision?

I imagine something like this:

--- snip ---
%files

# the plugin directory
%dir %_libdir/jabberd

# plugins without additional external dependencies
%_libdir/jabberd/authreg_anon.so
%_libdir/jabberd/authreg_pipe.so
%_libdir/jabberd/storage_fs.so
[...]

# plugins with additional external dependencies
# that shall be treated in a weak way.
%suggests(%_libdir/jabber/authreg_pam.so, "PAM authentication")
%suggests(%_libdir/jabber/authreg_ldap.so, "LDAP authentication")
%suggests(%_libdir/jabberd/*_pgsql.so,
"PostgreSQL storage and authentication")
%suggests(%_libdir/jabberd/*_mysql.so,
"MySQL storage and authentication")
[...]
--- snap ---

> We're just missing an application to present it nicely to the user.

Which is very much eqivalent to "we don't have this kind of dependency
yet." ;)

cu
Reinhard