[opensuse-marketing] features of a new release
  • From: Jos Poortvliet <jos@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 16:29:49 +0100
Heya all,

Many of you have helped in the last 3-4 releases with writing the 'feature
guide' or 'product highlights' and release announcements. You know it is not
an easy task - as a matter of fact, it's a huge amount of work.

With 11.4 and 12.1 we had a reasonably collaborative process, but even then
we had almost no input from the actual package maintainers (for whom it is
very easy to record what changes there are in their software). Instead, we
had to go through long lists of packages, trying to find out what is new.

Obviously, this doesn't really work. I've asked (as usual) if
maintainers/packagers will add changes in their software to the wiki here:
https://en.opensuse.org/openSUSE:Major_features

but honestly, I don't really expect that to work very well. I would
appreciate it if you kick developers you know, it would make a difference.
If however it again boils down to a handful of people who barely know
anything about the software having to go through all the packages, we will
have to change how we work. How - I don't really know.

Maybe we can change the policy on submitting things to Factory, like
requiring a link to an upstream changelog on major releases or anything.
Maybe you all have suggestions - ideas on improving this process are really
welcome.

The most important thing are of course changes really developed by and for
openSUSE - even those we often miss, like ownCloud integration in openSUSE
12.1 (I heard about it 3 days before the release. Doesn't that make you
cry?). Again - we need a way to find and describe them...

Thoughts?

Jos