[opensuse-marketing] The openSUSE Handbook proposal
  • From: Javier Llorente <javier@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 20:27:11 +0200
Hello there,

I was thinking that having an openSUSE Handbook (or handbuch ;) in pdf format
ready to be downloaded, printed and even ready to be sent to a publishing
company is a good idea.

So, here's my proposal:

First, we would have to make a list of topics to be included and organise them
in chapters, like the following draft:

******************************
The openSUSE Handbook
******************************
Introduction
- What's the openSUSE project?
- What's openSUSE?

Installing openSUSE
- Different types of install methods
- AutoYaST

Installing applications
- Using 1-click
- Using YaST
- Using zypper

Desktop environments
- An introduction to DEs (KDE, GNOME, XFCE, LXDE).
- Enabling proprietary drivers (ATI, NVIDIA)
- Multimedia
- Printing
- Games

System administration
- Introduction to the command line
- Networking
- Security
- Storage
- Virtualization
- Keeping openSUSE up-to-date
- Upgrading openSUSE

Servers
- Apache and lighttpd
- MySQL and PostgreSQL
- Postfix
- BIND
- Samba
- CUPS
etc

Other openSUSE Technologies
- Build Service
- SUSE Studio
- KIWI

Second, we would have to write about those topics not included in the wiki and
review those already written. That way we would have more relevant bits in
both the wiki and handbook. Each topic doesn't have to be 100 page long ;-)

And last but not least we would have to put all the pieces together and make
it available in pdf.

Drawbacks:
We would need to update some of its contents for each openSUSE release.
It needs more than two people to make it happen ;-)

On the other hand, I think that the handbook would make openSUSE more
"visible" and a bit more "ready to use."

Comments and suggestions are welcome! :-)

Cheers,
--
Javier Llorente
< Previous Next >