Re: [opensuse-marketing] How to get verification letter
  • From: "Sankar P" <psankar@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 02:14:56 -0600
On 7/24/2009 at 12:54 PM, in message
<21f311fd0907240024h444bd54s2f03968f9ba0a98f@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Aditya Patawari
<adimania@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Because they are new to linux and they want that if a person changes
the complete layout of their machines' working environment then that
guy should have some knowledge or affiliation. That's why I wanted
some reference. And I think that we should have some standard template
for this as it will help ambassadors in future because nobody will
like to listen to a guy who is claiming to be an ambassador and does
not have any proof of the being the same. And yes wiki can be edited
to its not a solid reference.

IIUC, Ambassador is just for acknowledging that the person can market the cause
of openSUSE. We cannot claim that every openSUSE ambassador will be a skillful
system administrator also. So, it will be impossible to give a written
reference stating: "So and so is an ambassador and so you can trust him as an
admin for changing things in your setup".

If a person wants outsiders to trust him with administration of things, It is
better to get a certificate like: http://www.novell.com/training/certinfo/cle/
, rather than an openSUSE ambassador certificate.

On the other hand, Trust is built over time. If you work long enough as an
ambassador, and show signs of knowledge and skill, you can easily get a
certificate by the people whom you work with. For instance, I will not hesitate
giving my personal reference to a lot of other openSUSE members.

Also, Though yours could be a genuine case, there are people who can misuse
such an ambassador certification for their personal business gains, without
being skilled enough. It is a huge risk that we cannot afford as it will cause
bad PR.

I hope you can understand the practical difficulties that make it to difficult
to give such a written certificate.

--
Sankar
http://psankar.blogspot.com