Re: [opensuse-m17n] Does our xim process need an update?
If you remember MS Windows, the environment variable under windows can
be changed globally via their system settings. IIRC there are some
desktop specific ways to set the environment variable for the
application launcher (at least for gnome-settings-daemon?).

In spite of desktop, dbus environment variable can be done via
org.freedesktop.DBus.UpdateActivationEnvironment .

But GTK_IM_MODULE is overriden by xsettings in GNOME 3.16,
For Gtk under GNOME, you can use something like, and it will be
changed at runtime without restart the application:

gsettings set \
org.gnome.settings-daemon.plugins.xsettings overrides \
"{'Gtk/IMModule':<'fcitx'>}"

For Qt, there's no way without restart the application, but as long as
there's a way to the environment variable to the actual application
launcher, it would be ok.

For XIM case, the name in XMODIFIERS will be owned by im server, it's
not possible to have two duplicate name on the same X. So for each im
server, to use im specific name, or expect the have the same behavior
as Qt (to restart the application).