Re: [opensuse-m17n] Does our xim process need an update?
  • From: Marguerite Su <i@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2015 21:51:27 +0800
On Thu, Jul 16, 2015 at 9:26 PM, Fuminobu TAKEYAMA <ftake@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
0. Is there any way in shell script, that allows us to dynamically
change input method framework without restart?

GTK and Qt applications can switch its IM.
But I think there is no way to do from shell script.

If we implement GTK IM module/Qt IM module/xim proxy, it could do that.

our current discussion focus on to replace xim method w/
chameleon-tongue, and the most critical mission for all such
technology is to properly set:

export LC_CTYPE=$LANG
export XMODIFIERS="@im=fcitx"
export GTK_IM_MODULE=fcitx
export GTK3_IM_MODULE=fcitx
export QT_IM_SWITCHER=imsw-multi
export QT_IM_MODULE=fcitx
export QT4_IM_MODULE=fcitx

to make input method framework take over users' input. and all such
applications/ways can only set input method globally once at system
boot (I might be wrong about this). after Xorg was started, there's no
way to swich input method frameworks. My question is, is there such
thing like:

export
FCITX_ENV=`/usr/lib/inputmethod/scripts/check_if_fcitx_is_running_and_prefered.sh`
export GTK_IM_MODULE=$FCITX_ENV

works. So when an application is started, it'll actually fetch
GTK_IM_MODULE by running a script, which can check process of input
method framework and /etc/sysconfig/inputmethod or something to find
user preference. So you can switch from fcitx to ibus without the need
to restart/logout.

Or we have to write an special im module named "imfd" or something to
dynamically set and load input method frameworks?

BTW, I think along with shell scripts, ruby is also a good
alternative, because every openSUSE installation have YaST and ruby
:-)

Marguerite