Re: [opensuse-m17n] Takao Fonts - community developed derivatives of IPA Fonts - are available.
  • From: Takashi Iwai <tiwai@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 16:55:21 +0100
At Tue, 16 Feb 2010 23:55:23 +0900,
Satoru Matsumoto wrote:

Takao Fonts Maintainers, which is mainly made up of the members of
Ubuntu Japanese Team, has recently released Takao Fonts, that are
community developed derivatives of IPA Fonts (which are default fonts
for Japanese in openSUSE distribution ATM).

https://launchpad.net/takao-fonts

Although IPA Fonts are high quality Japanese outline fonts, they are
released under the IPA Font license which allow us to modify and
redistribute them on the condition of avoiding to use the word "IPA" for
derivatives' name and following some other restrictions. This
restriction means that only IPA can modify and release the IPA Fonts and
3rd party communities are prohibited to apply any patch and release them
with the name "IPA Font" even if we found bugs on them.

Takao Fonts Maintainers aim to avoid this problem by changing the fonts
names.

I think Takao Fonts can be alternatives to IPA Fonts and have curiously
built packages of these fonts on my home project in OBS, using examples
from IPAPGothic.spec file in openSUSE:Factory repo.
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show?package=takeo-fonts&project=home%3AHeliosReds

The IPA font spec file is a bit outdate. You can clean up the spec
file for new packages a bit. Namely,

- Recent packages tend to omit "Authors" list in the package
description
- The conversion of *.txt via dos2unix is unlikely needed for this
package
- Better to use %{version} to Sources and %setup macro as much as
possible

Otherwise looks fine to me.
Feel free to submit first to M17N repo. Then we can adjust
fonts-config to put this as a preferred font, then eventually submit
to openSUSE 11.3.

There are a few places where IPA fonts are used statically, e.g. in
the installation. These can be fixed once after this new font is
merged.

Thanks!

Takashi