Japanese Fonts for OpenOffice lead to KMail Crashes
  • From: Matthias Seeger <matthias.seeger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 7 Dec 2004 19:12:49 +0000 (UTC)
Dear List,

I am using SuSE 9.0 with KDE, Canna and KInput2 in UTF-8. Everything
went well so far.

However, in OpenOffice the little Hiragana あ/a would not appear when
activating Canna. Furthermore, in the spreadsheet programme, there
is no japanese for the upper editing field.

I tried unsucessfully some settings in the font replacement
settings. The only way to solve both problems was to install Arial
Unicode MS fonts. Then, OpenOffice worked perfectly with Japanese,
however, the computer would freeze for some 30 seconds when during
the start of OpenOffice.

But now I am facing big problems with KMail. It just crashes when
opening certain mails with Japanese contents. I used YaST2 in order
to force a reinstall of the efont-unicode and it worked for a short
time.

Questions:
- Is there another solution to get perfect Japanese support for
OpenOffice instead of Arial Unicode MS?
- Can I repair my system (e.g. by reinstaling some rpms) or must I
reinstall SuSE?

Sorry, but I have no idea what could have went wrong so please
forgive me that I cannot provide more information.

Thanks in advance for any hint.

Matthias

  • No further messages